Two-time world champion Zolani Tete has been shot dead outside his home in South Africa.
Tete, 38, was killed in an ambush in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape on Friday, when two armed suspects emerged from a vehicle and fired multiple shots at him and a 27-year-old female passenger, who remains in hospital.
The incident has left the boxing community in shock, with South Africa's minister of sport, arts and culture, Gayton McKenzie, describing Tete as "one of the finest fighters it has ever produced."
A major investigation has been launched, with the suspects fleeing the scene.
Tete held the WBO bantamweight title from 2017 to 2019, and also held the IBF super-flyweight title in 2014.
He beat Liverpool's Paul Butler in 2015, one of eight times he fought in the United Kingdom.
Tete also holds a Guinness World Record for the fastest knockout in a title fight, ending his match with Siboniso Gonya inside 11 seconds in 2017.
He last fought in July 2022, beating Briton Jason Cunningham by knockout in London, but it was later ruled a no-contest after he failed a drugs test.
Tete had been training for a comeback fight, according to his manager Mla Tengimfene.
Japanese fighter Naoya Inoue described Tete as a "wonderful boxer," saying "I hope the world is peaceful. And please, rest in peace."
John Riel Casimero, who took the WBO bantamweight belt from Tete in November 2019, said he was "shocked" and "heartbroken" over his death.
"We shared the canvas and pushed each other to be our absolute best inside the squared ring. A true warrior and champion. Rest in peace, champ. Prayers with your family and loved ones," he said.
Sanctioning body the WBO said it mourned the passing of its former champion, extending its condolences to Tete's family, friends, and the South African boxing community.
Tete's death has left the boxing world reeling, with many tributes pouring in for the two-time world champion.
The investigation into Tete's death continues, with no further information available at this time.
A memorial service for Tete is likely to be held in the coming days, with details yet to be confirmed.
Source: BBC Sports